Table of Contents
Star Wars: Last Jedi Review
I will give Star Wars: Last Jedi 5.5/10, mainly because the story doesn't make much logical sense. Why is the Resistance portrayed as a good organisation? Why is the First Order considered as bad? I think the Resistance looks like an organisation that is very lacking in terms military tactics and discipline. Personally I support First Order, because they seem to be a better organisation.
Military of the Resistance
- Lack of disicipline
- Capt Dameron disobeying order and continued the attack on First Order destroyer
- This resulted in a pyrrhic victory, and unnecessary loss of resistance personnel.
- Cmdr Dameron mutinied over Vadm Holdo's order to abandon ship.
- Failure to win hearts and minds 1)
- Self-imposed exile by Luke Skywalker
- Even their senior leadership doesn't believe in their cause.
- Nobody responded to the distress call by the Resistance.
- Poor military leadership
- Vadm Holdo decided to kamikaze the Resistance cruiser
- This resulted in loss of a member of the senior leadership, it is harmful for morale.
- Couldn't she have used autopilot, or a drone?
- Couldn't they have done this earlier
- Lack of communication between team members
- Cmdr Dameron wasn't informed of Vadm Holdo's full plan of evacuation.
- This partially led to the mutiny.
- It is reasonable to believe that Cmdr Dameron would not have put Finn and Rose at risk by sending them to First Order flagship, if he was informed of Vadm Holdo's plan.
- Rose stopped Finn from committing kamikaze, and ended up injuring herself. She managed to crash 2 Resistance vehicles in the process, and she managed to pull both herself and Finn away from the battlefield.
Military of the First Order
- Justified and Proportionate use of force
- The Cruiser chase scene
- It is reasonable to think that the First Order could have crushed the cruiser then, bu they decided to fire warning shots to ask the Resistance to surrender.
- Unity and Strength
- The red guards revenged for Snoke's death
- It clearly shows that the red guards' loyalty come from love and respect, rather than fear. Otherwise they would have immediate pledge allegiance to Kylo Ren.
- General Hux always followed orders.
- It doesn't matter if it was from Supreme Leader Snoke, or Supreme Leader Kylo Ren.
- It shows that he is a very disciplined and professional soldier.
- Better equipment
- This is probably because the First Order is better managed.
Politics of the Resistance
- The Resistance refuses to cut a peace deal with the First Order
- Supreme Leader Kylo Ren proposed a power sharing agreement with Rey, but that was summarily rejected. They ended up having a fight during the negotiation - both side wanted Luke Skywalker's light saber.
Radicalisation of Kylo Ren
Luke Skywalker tried to kill Kylo Ren while Ren was asleep. Surely this is a safeguarding problem? I believe Skywalker needs to be reported to whatever government/authority they have. Skywalker's license to teach should have been revoked. Can you imagine if your lecturer / supervisor try to kill you, while you are taking a nap?
In some ways, I believe Kylo Ren is a hero, he is trying to liberate the galaxy from this dangerous Jedi cult.
I really feel the Resistance deserves to perish